Why My HP Printer is Offline?
My HP printer was working fine, but it suddenly went “Offline” and didn’t appear in the list of available printers. Has this ever happened to you? If yes, then how did you fix this problem? However, many solutions are available to fix How do I get my HP printer back online? But non-tech savvy may find it challenging to deal with this problem and needs professional guidance. We might help you to get your printer working again quickly with simple-to-follow instructions.
Go through this article to find the complete solutions for the HP printer offline fix windows 10 with step-step procedures.
Some of the HP printer models that can be fixed utilizing the methods mentioned below to troubleshoot offline printer errors are – HP Envy 4500, HP OfficeJet 4650, HP OfficeJet Pro 8600, HP DeskJet 3940, HP Photosmart C4700 Series printer, HP Envy 7640, HP DeskJet 3755, HP OfficeJet Pro 6830 and so on.
My HP Printer is OFFLINE, What does it Mean?
Every user must have faced this problem in his lifetime while printing which means that your printer can’t communicate with your PC. When your HP OfficeJet Printer status shows offline, new commands for printing cannot be given or processed, and you have to stop or pause the print job completely.
In order to bring your HP printer back to online status on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, or Mac, you need to know the main culprits behind this issue. Usually, the offline printer problem is caused by an old and corrupt printer driver, jammed paper inside the print machine, connection or cable issues, outdated firmware version, etc.
To learn more about this issue, let’s discuss some reasons behind the hp offline printer error.
The Factors Responsible for HP Printer “OFFLINE” Issue
Consider these factors whenever your HP printer says “Offline”-
- Problems with the cables or network connection.
- Outdated firmware.
- Jammed paper inside the carriage.
- The printer is set to offline mode.
- Outdated or corrupted printer drivers.
- The printer is not set as the default printer while taking prints.
Troubleshooting Guide: Change the HP Printer Status from “Offline” to “Online”
Here are some possible fixes that could help get you back online. Follow these instructions carefully to troubleshoot the HP Printer Offline Windows 11 issue. After performing each task, try using the printer to verify if the problem has been fixed.
Fix 1: Make Sure the “Use Printer Offline” Mode is Not Selected
If “Use Printer in Offline Mode” is selected, your HP printer keeps going offline. So, always ensure that this option is not enabled while fixing the issue. You can manually set your HP printer to online mode by using the steps below.
Follow the steps to verify this:
- Navigate to the “Start” button.
- Then, select “Settings.”
- Here, select “Devices” and then “Printers & Scanners.”
- From the list displayed, select your Printer and then “Open Queue.”
- Under “Printer”, ensure “Use Printer Offline” is not selected.
Through these manual steps, you can set your printer to online mode. If this doesn’t resolve the issue, try other solutions available.
Fix 2: Remove All Pending Print Jobs
Cancel all the print jobs present from the “See what’s printing” menu or just by pressing the “Cancel” button on the printer. If this does not work, restart your PC and printer to remove any stubborn print jobs.
Fix 3: Check for Paper Jams and Ink Cartridge
If you are troubled with the HP printer offline problem, you must inspect whether or not the issues are arising with the ink cartridges. You also need to clear paper jams, if you find any.
To do this:
- Ensure your HP printer is properly plugged in.
- Look for all loose cables and reconnect them properly for better connectivity if found.
- Also, ensure that the printer has the right stock of papers in the tray.
- Identify any paper jams inside the printer. Clear them if found.
- Check the printer ink cartridge level and low ink warnings.
If the problem was due to an ink cartridge or paper jam issue, the printer showing an offline problem will resolve it.
Fix 4: Run HP Print and Scan Doctor
Use the HP Print and Scan Doctor application to identify and solve errors. You can download this tool to your system using any browser.
Steps to use HP print and Scan Doctor:
- Login from the Administrator mode, open the application HPPSdr.exe and allow it to run.
- Launch the “HP Print and Scan Doctor” and Click on the “Start” button.
- Choose your HP printer from the list.
- Use the “Fix printing link” to initiate the repairing process.
The solution mentioned above must fix the issue. However, you have more options if this doesn’t work.
Fix 5: Reinstall Printer Drivers
Sometimes outdated or corrupted printer drivers may be the reason for offline printer issues. Consider updating or reinstalling printer drivers may resolve this problem quickly.
- To reinstall the HP printer drivers, follow the steps mentioned:
- Go to Settings > Printers, and select your printer.
- Right-click on the printer and choose “Properties.”
- Tap the “General” or “Details” tab and search for the driver button. Select the driver again. Also, download the latest drivers from the printer manufacturer’s site.
- Reinstall the printer through the “Add Printer” wizard.
This simple fix may bring your HP Envy Printer Offline to “Online.”
Fix 6: Update the Firmware Version
In case the problem still persists, you must upgrade the firmware version from time to time as the HP printer offline issue may occur due to the outdated firmware version.
Fix 7: Check USB/ Wi-Fi and Network Connection
Before using a network printer, ensure that the USB cord is securely connected to your printer and the system. If the issue persists, consider using a different USB cord.
While using a wireless network to connect your printer, follow these steps:
- Turn off your printer and then disconnect the Power cord.
- Turn off your computer system.
- Wait 10 seconds.
- Connect the power cord to the printer again and turn the printer back on.
- Disconnect the power cord from your wireless router
- Wait 10 seconds.
- When the internet comes back, power on your computer.
- Connect your printer to your network using the HP Smart software or the HP wireless setup wizard.
- To check for any potential connectivity issues, print a wireless report.
- Locate this report in your printer’s network settings or wireless menu.
If problems continue? Your router’s manufacturer or network administrator may need to be contacted.
Fix 8: Check Printer Spooler Settings
My printer is offline as the print spooler stopped working. Fix this with the steps mentioned below:
- Open the “Run” dialogue box and type “services.msc“> click on “Ok.”
- Locate the option of “Print Spooler” from the list displayed.
- Right-click on it and select “Stop” to stop print spooler services.
- In the address bar, type C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Printer, and click on “Ok.”
- Clear the printing queue.
- Go back to “Print Spooler” and right-click to select the “Start” option. It will resume the spooler service again.
- Finally, restart your printer and computer.
Hopefully, all these steps can be helpful to users in bringing back their HP printer from Offline mode to Online in Windows 7, 8, 10, 11, Mac, or any other operating system. This troubleshooting guide may be helpful if you ask Why My HP Printer is Offline on Mac.
In order to prevent HP printers from being offline, always keep your printer drivers accurately installed and updated, check your network connection in small intervals, and update your firmware version to its latest. Anytime you encounter this issue, work through the steps described in this article until you resolve it.
We also suggest users try printing using different devices, such as a laptop or smartphone, in case they are stuck with offline printer issues. Blaming the printer might be pointless if the connection problem is device-specific. If connecting with a different computer clears up the case, it is most likely that the printer is not at fault.
If you are facing the HP OfficeJet 4650 offline problem, never hesitate to take the help of experts to fix the problem quickly and efficiently. You can also get a helpful guide during HP printer setup along with printer troubleshooting tips. Also, share your thoughts in the comments section if you find our information valuable. You are also welcome to post any questions down there if you have any.
Factory Reset HP Laptop
123 Hp com Setup
FAQs Of HP Printer is Offline
Q.1. How do I get my HP printer back online?
Ans. Follow the steps to bring your HP printer back online:
- Ensure your HP printer is turned on & connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your PC.
- Unplug & restart your printer.
- Set your printer as a default printer.
- Clear the print queue.
- Reset the service that manages the print queue.
- Remove and reinstall your printer to your device.
- Restart your PC.
Q.2. Why did my HP printer go offline?
Ans. Outdated print drivers, incorrect settings, and connection issues are some reasons why hp printer offline issues are most likely to occur.
Q.3. How do I get my printer to get back online?
Ans. Follow the tips below:
- Make sure the Ethernet Cable is firmly inserted if having a network printer.
- Ensure the wireless printer is connected to your router.
- Set the printer to online manually.
- Remove all pending print jobs.
- Remove and reinstall your printer.
- Reinstall the print drivers.
Q.4. Why is my printer saying it’s offline when it isn’t?
Ans. The possible causes are – loose cable connections, outdated drivers, and problems with important system services.
Q.5. How do I reset my HP printer?
Ans. You can reset your HP printer using 7 different methods:
- Software Reset Method.
- Hardware Reset Method.
- Network Reset Method.
- Reset via unplugging and plugging back the printer.
- Reset using the Wireless and Cancel buttons.
- Reset using LCD Control Panel.
- Factory Reset Method.
Q.6. What does printer offline mean?
Ans. When your printer shows offline status, it shows that it cannot be connected to the system or printing cannot go ahead.
Q.7. How do I fix my HP printer offline Windows 10?
Ans. Try these to change the printer status from ‘offline’ to ‘online’:
- Ensure your HP printer is turned on & connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your PC.
- Verify that your HP printer is not in “Use Printer Offline” mode.
- Go to Start button > Settings > Devices > Printers & Scanners > Select your Printer > Open Queue.
- Under Printer, make sure “Use Printer Offline is not selected.
Still getting error messages then contact the Hp service center near you for more help and support.